Tuesday, August 2, 2011

More Blessings and Curses?

My devotional this morning was from the book of Ezekiel, chapters 25 and 26.  They speak of God's judgment on the countries who dissed Israel.  Listen to these excerpts:

Because you said "Aha!" against My sanctuary when it was profaned, and against the land of Israel when it was desolate...indeed, therefore, I will deliver you as a possession to the men of the East.

Because you clapped your hands, stamped your feet, and rejoiced in heart with all your disdain for the land of Israel, indeed, therefore, I will stretch out My hand against you, and give you as plunder to the nations, I will cut you off from the peoples, and I will cause you to perish from the countries; I will destroy you, and you shall know that I am the Lord.

This is a theme that can be seen again and again throughout scripture.  In His word, God does not tolerate folks who dis Israel.  Genesis and Deuteronomy say, "I will bless those who bless you, and curse those who curse you."

Is this principle still true today?  Look at what happened in Norway.  The news has been full of the horrific tragedy at the camp, yet you don't really hear what the camp was about in the media.  The day before the shooting, the camp of the Labour Party youth were being fed a diet of Israel-hatred.  The camp was visited by Norwegian Foreign Minister on Thursday, and here is a photo of that visit:
"The Palestinians "must have their own state, the occupation must end, the wall must be demolished and it must happen now," said the Foreign Minister to cheers from the audience. 

The shooter is being called anti-Islam by the press, and that is probably true. But do you hear of Norway being called anti-Israel?

What happened in Norway is desperately sad and tragic.  The young people who died had family and friends who loved them, and I in no way would condone such an act against them.  My heart breaks for their parents, who have to endure such a painful loss.

But the tragedy definitly merits a sober examination of the scriptures. God's word doesn't lie.  God is pro-Israel; they are the apple of His eye. (Zech 2:8 - for whoever touches you touches the apple of his eye).  If God is pro-Israel, we should be, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment