Saturday, November 18, 2017

Isaiah Post 26 - The LORD Pleads (Chapter 46)

Chapter 46 a short chapter, which summarizes what is written in the previous chapters.  The emphasis is on the futitlity of idols and the mightiness of the LORD.

Verses 1-2 describe the idols in less than flattering terms.  They stoop, they bow down, they cause weariness on the beasts of burden who are forced to haul them around.  Idolatry can still burden us today.  Although we may not bow and scrape before wooden images, there are still plenty of things that we do bow and scrape to, and put above the LORD... materialism/money, sports teams, convenience, self-promotion, celebrities, drugs, sex, political parties, food, etc etc.  (And I am definitely guilty as charged on some of these.  Aren't we all?)

The plea that follows from the LORD to Israel beginning in verse 3, is very strong:

“Listen to Me, O house of Jacob,
And all the remnant of the house of Israel,
Who have been upheld by Me from birth,
Who have been carried from the womb:
Even to your old age, I am He,
And even to gray hairs I will carry you!
I have made, and I will bear;
Even I will carry, and will deliver you.



The LORD is saying, "Guys!  Pay attention!  I am the One who made you and will sustain you! Not those useless, deaf and dumb wooden idols. I am there for you.... start to finish!"

He continues with His plea in the remainder of this short chapter:

Remember the former things of old,
For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is none like Me,
Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things that are not yet done,
 
(Prophecy, confirming Who He is!)
Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
And I will do all My pleasure,’
Calling a bird of prey from the east,
The man who executes My counsel, from a far country.
(Cyrus)
Indeed I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass.
I have purposed it; I will also do it.
(He has said it and He is faithful to do it!)

“Listen to Me, you stubborn-hearted,
Who are far from righteousness:
I bring My righteousness near, it shall not be far off;
My salvation (teshua, derivitave of Yeshua) shall not linger.
And I will place salvation in Zion,
For Israel My glory.

The LORD wraps up this chapter promising salvation and righteousness to Zion - the soon-to-come Messiah!

The word used in the last verse for glory is tiferet –  which means beauty, splendor, of rank or renown – a jewel. Israel is the LORD's jewel!

The priestly breastplate features 12 jewels, representing the 12 tribes of Israel.

The other word translated glory in the scriptures is kavod, and it always describes the LORD Himself or of things pertaining to Him. Kavod is a word that means heavy.   

Fun fact: the Hebrew word for liver is the same word: kavod, because it is the heaviest organ in the body.

Stay tuned!  Click here as Isaiah continues to take us on a prophetic roller coaster ride.


If you would like to start at the beginning of this series on Isaiah, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment