Abraham gets married again, and fathers six more boys! Remember, Sarah died at age 127, which means that Abraham remarried after age 137.
The names of the six boys are mentioned here, and just for fun I thought I'd look at all the meanings:
- Zimran - musician
- Yokshan - snarer, enticer
- Medan - contention
- Midian - strife (nearly the same word as Medan)
- Ishback - He releases, or leaving behind
- Shuah - wealth
|Abraham's interesting family tree|
And Abraham gave all that he had to Isaac. But Abraham gave gifts to the sons of the concubines which Abraham had; and while he was still living he sent them eastward, away from Isaac his son, to the country of the east.
|It will not always be this way|
For more fun, let's look at the meanings of Ishmael's sons' names:
- Nebajoth - Heights (Ancestor of the Nabateans)
- Kedar - Dark, or dark-skinned
- Adbeel - Chastened of God
- Mibsam - Fragrant
- Mishma - What is heard, a hearing
- Dumah - Silence
- Massa - Burden
- Hadar - Honor
- Tema - Desert
- Yetur - Enclosed, encircled
- Naphish - Refreshment
- Kedemah - Original
The direction then shifts to the geneaology of Isaac. In fact, the remainder of Genesis will now be narrowed down to Isaac and his progeny. This chapter includes many details on Isaac's family, so my next post will cover the rest of chapter 25.
Click here to read it.