Thursday, July 7, 2011

Oh, my Bob!

I recently returned from a serving trip to a mission in Mexico with a great group of people who have wonderful servants' hearts.  However, I made an observation while there.

It seems to me that the third commandment has been forgotten.

I heard a lot of OMG-ing going on.  OMG this.  OMG that.  It has become such a part of our cultural way of speaking that I believe many people, Christians and otherwise, don't even realize they are doing it. 

In rabbinic Judaism, we see the opposite end of the spectrum.  The name of God is treated with such reverence that it is often written G_d.  Or they will say "haShem," which means, "the Name," or "Adonai," which means "Lord."   In fact, throughout the centuries of rabbinic Judaism, the tetragrammaton YHVH (Hebrew for "I Am") has been replaced with "Lord" throughout the scriptures. 

The NIV says it this way:  "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

I also like the way the Amplified version puts it:  "You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain."

I actually heard someone say this on the trip:  "Oh, my God, the toilet flushed automatically!"  Personally, I was horrified.  I have often told my children that if they aren't talking either to Him or about Him, they shouldn't be throwing His name around like it means nothing.  Consider the following scenario:

Steve:  Oh, my Bob!  Look at the time!

Bob:   Hey, Steve!  Nice to hear from you. 

Steve (to Bob, annoyed):  What do YOU want?

Bob:  Didn't you just talk to me?

Steve (rolling eyes):  What are you talking about?  Oh, my Bob, I need to run.

Bob:  Ok, let's go!

Steve:  I wasn't talking to YOU!

Bob:  Aren't I your Bob?  Didn't you just say that?

Steve:  What are you talking about?  Good Bob, man, I'm in a hurry!

Bob:  But you keep talking to me.

Steve:  Huh?

Bob:  If you'd only take some time to talk with me, I'll help you to get where you are going.

Steve:  Oh, my Bob.  Like I need this in my life.  I am going to be late for my Bob-dammed meeting.

Bob:  (sighs and walks away sadly).


By the way, saying "oh my gosh" really isn't any better - it's called a minced oath.  Check out this definition from dictionary.com:
–interjection
(used as an exclamation or mild oath): Gosh, this bag is heavy!
 
Origin:
1750–60; euphemistic alteration of God

1 comment:

  1. I reposted this, hope that's ok. Let me know if you want me to remove it. LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete